Friday, August 29, 2008

thanks for the memories

Taken from OK! Weekly magazine, August 2006



Sophia Bush's graceful manner and total composure in front of the camera are all the more admirable given that she's had one the most difficult years of her life. When her much publicized April 2005 marriage to fellow One Tree Hill star Chad Michael Murray ended in an annulment after just five months, she was understandably devastated. Sophia has had the unenviable task of working with her ex every day on set, as well as seeing him get engaged again, to 18 years-old show extra Kenzie Dalton. But while most people would crumble in this situation, Sophia handles it all with total professionalism. Her frankness about how she's become a stronger and more introspective person after the split is impressive. Sophia is spending her hiatus from One Tree Hill in Texas filming the remake of 1986 thriller The Hitcher, in which she stars opposite British hunk Sean Bean. You can currently watch her on the big screen in high school comedy John Tucker Must Die.
Here, Sophia speaks candidly for the first time about how she's dealt with the end of her marriage and why heartache will not stop her from finding love again.

Are you sad that i didn't work out with Chad?
No, I'm not sad it didn't work out because it wasn't supposed to. I'm much better off now and much happier than I've ever been,, so I wouldn't change anything.

Has it turned you off relationships?
No. I think people go through things for reasons. This last year has been wonderful for me because I've always put all my faith in the world and really believed in people, even when everyone else doesn't. I don't ever want to lose that, but, at the same time, I think the last year has given me the perspective to really take care of myself.

Was the breakup difficult?
It wasn't fun to go through, but I value it for what it taught me. I think there's nothing greater in the world than love and relationships. I look at my parents' marriage -- they've been together for 25 years and they're astounding! They're still crazy about each other. Just because things don't workout the way you've planned, I don't think it should change your mind. I respect marriage as an institution and wish it wasn't taken so lightly. It's something I value and take seriously.

How is it working with Chad?
It's something I have to do. It's part of my job. I value being an actor more than anything and I would never jeopardize that. I would never give up my integrity as an actor because of my personal life -- I could never stomach that. I go to work and I do my job for the audience. At the end of the day, I love playing Brooke. If I were allowing my personal life to get in the way of that. I'd be taking this opportunity for granted.

But it must be hard since he's found a new relationship on set?
There are good days and bad days, let's be honest. But it's like that in any situation - it's like that with your best friend, with your enemies, with your siblings. You have days when you get along with people and days when you want to strangle them. I think that's true of a relationship that's continuing, or of a relationship that has ended. We're just lucky that the majority of days run smoothly. And even when they don't, we're in a situation where we're forced to laugh it off. We're lucky to be on a set where there's not much tension. Anything that might be hard is so minor in comparison to what other people go through in these situations.

Why did you decide on an annulment rather than a divorce?
I don't really want to get into the legality of it. If people had insight onto that, it [still] wouldn't give them any better understanding why the relationship ended.

Have you found time for a new boyfriend?
I think you have time for what you choose to have in your life. Luckily, I'm a person who doesn't require an extraordinary amount of sleep! [laughs] I strongly value my relationships and the people in my life. If I love somebody, they get everything I have to give as long as I'm not sacrificing myself. At the same time, I think when you get into this sort of a schedule, your circle of friends gets smaller; you keep the people who mean the most to you.

Can you say who you're dating?
There's nothing I need to go public on.

Have your friends helped?
My girlfriends are everything to me. At the same time, I do have a very grueling and demanding work schedule, and they know that sometimes when I'm on night shoots, they might go a week without speaking to me. Of course, it's hard being away from home -- I just miss them so much.

Your new movie John Tucker Must Die is about a high school player who is set up by the girls he has cheated on. Can you relate?
I think we've all known somebody like John Tucker, somebody who's pulled the wool over your eyes. The movie allowed all of us girls on the film to make light of certain personal situations that we've gone through in our own lives. It's always nice when you can laugh about something that made you cry.

Are you similar to your character, Beth?
It was really entertaining to create this girl who preaches a healthy, calm, Zen lifestyle. Then the moment she gets challenged, she starts to yell and become a lunatic. It's not the way I am at all.

What about your One Tree Hill character, Brooke?
I have certain similarities to Brooke now more than when the show began. I'm a fiercely loyal person. I can get excited about just about anything. Regardless of how hard it may be, I think there's always a way to find the light in a situation. At the same time, Brooke is a ditzy girl. I was a total bookworm in high school and college.

What's the best piece of advice your parents gave you?
To be honest with myself and the people in my life. I think when everything you do is based on honesty, it really helps prevent a big ego or conceit. It's very easy in this business for the people to be ruled by their egos, and my parents taught me that ego is a very ugly thing.

You just had your birthday. Did you celebrate on set?
I did! I got lucky because on Friday night when the midnight struck, it was my birthday. So at 1 a.m., I had an enormous cake and ate all of it! It was exceptional! I got to sleep until Saturday afternoon. We enjoyed our day off and gathered the whole crew together for dinner, and I had another cake. I got to celebrate twice and thought it was fantastic!

What is the biggest misconception about you?
After playing Brooke, I'm sure a lot of people assume that I'm a happy-go-lucky, pretty party girl! But that's not what I value. As much as I have my girly side, I am very much a tomboy. I love to be outdoors with my dogs. I love to go on road trips and adventures and learn. What I would love most is to be able to take a year off to travel around the world.

Where would you love to travel?
I'd really love to go to India. Also, Africa is an amazing continent with so much life and so many things I think would be eye-opening. At some point you hope to be in a position in your career where you can start dictating your schedule.

Are you environmentally minded?
I'm buying a hybrid car and changing all my light bulbs to the energy-efficient kind. I'm recycling and doing what I can because the state of the planet is just unacceptable.

Where do you want to be in 10 years?
I want to get to a place where I have the opportunity to do the jobs I want, where I start to have a bit of creative control. If I look back and have a meaningful body of work, and time with my friends and family scattered in between, I'll be a really happy girl.

What's your biggest vice?
I have a bit of shopping problem [laughs]. I've got such an addiction to shoes and handbags, it's silly. I'm trying to curb it, but it's hard because they're so much fun!

How was the OK! shoot?
I had a great time! It was an afternoon of playing dress-up, like a fairy tale. Trotting around in this massive mansion in amazing black-tie clothing; the whole thing was just hilarious.

No comments: