Friday, February 13, 2009

true love conquers all

My favourite book ever.

I've read this book about four to five times, and I'm trembling to read again and again. I was so glad I decided to just buy it at the warehouse sale I went to years ago. That was one of the best decision I've ever made.

Kaitlin Malone is the Scribbler of Dreams, a girl who was born to hate the Crutchfields, especially Robert Crutchfield got killed accidentally and caused her father to be imprisoned. And because of that, Kaitlin and her sister, Abbey was forced to go to Twin Oaks High School which was founded by the Amanda and Maggie Crutchfield with a different identity.

Kaitlin finds solace in writing journals. During lunch at Twin Oaks, she spends time alone in a quiet courtyard as she scribbles in her journal and explores her world of dreams and hopes. There, she meets an artist who captures truth in his potraits - Bram Crutchfield. Somehow, after sharing afternoons together in the same courtyard, she learns that they can share so much more, even love.

As she gives her heart to Bram, Kaitlin learns the truth behind the bitter legacy between the Crutchfields and the Malones. And she learns to forgive them. But she is torned to choose either her family and say goodbye to the love of her life, or Bram and turn her back to her family.

What I love most about this book is the style of language. It was so damn beautiful. For example, this is one Kaitlin's entry in her journal:

September 6.
Back and forth. Back and forth. The tide ebbs and swirls, surrounding, reaching, touching with its foamy fingers. Teasing at my last breathless moments. Surging up and over, pulling me under. The tide is winning ... but for a moment my foot brushes the bottom, and I am able to push, to grasp hold for a few last breaths. For a moment the tide must wait.

I am definitely reading Scribbler of Dreams to float together with Kaitlin and be dazzled by Bram over and over again after all this SPM madness ;)

No comments: