Saturday, July 4, 2009

oh simple thing, where have you gone?

On the second day of Khemah Ibadat, I learned two things that people always take for granted: the joy of camaraderie and the free feeling of loosing yourself up.

In the middle of the activity organized by one of the facilitators, Abang Syukri, he asked us all to stand up to dance the poco-poco dance. I loathed, despised, detested, abominated, abhorred and hated that dance, until that time. Before the dance started, all of us were standing with our own group members. Lukman, my group leader, was standing beside me, and he asked what is poco-poco. Then, after it started, everybody ran away to be with their friends. I turned and saw Lukman and my other group members were gone, so I went to join Nadiah. When I was still thinking whether to join dancing or not, suddenly I saw him dancing exagerratedly with the facilitators. It's true. His dance was more like dangdut rather than poco-poco. Everyone laughed at him, and even the facilitators were surprised. At first I taught maybe our would be given extra marks for his sporting-ness. But then I watched him and I taught, maybe once in a while, it's good to loose yourself up. I looked around and I saw happy faces. So I thought, why not try this? Why not forget my dislike towards this dance and just let go?

And I did. I joined in and followed the steps, and I laughed along with them. And let me tell you something, it was fun. It was soo fun doing something I used to think as silly and time wasting with the people that we're happy with. It feels good to just let go and loosing up.

True camaraderie is wonderful. At the end of the camp, we all stood up and sing the Warisan song together. It was such a simple song, but the way we all sing it was priceless. Everyone was standing together, arm-in-arms. It was such a nice view, you know. Suddenly there were no lines that lie between us. It didn't occur to any one of us whether we have the best or not. It didn't matter to any one of us if we have the worst voice. Everybody was just singing their lungs out. It was such a joyous feeling, you know. We can't have that kinda chance to be one everyday.


PS, Nico, I take back my word. My bozone layer is thick, but I can be motivationalizable sometimes (:

1 comment:

dygmaynie said...

haha, i love poco poco you know. it's a fun an interesting exercise.